Many homes have precious paintings and valuable photos hanging on the walls. These pieces of art deserve to be under the spotlight. And that brings cordless picture lights into the mix.
You can install these lights right above your paintings and photos so that they look prominent. They create a classy ambiance in your home. You will often notice museums and palaces using spotlights to put emphasis on paintings or historical artifacts.
A cordless picture light can serve the same purpose in your house.
At times, we contribute to finding the best cordless picture light and getting the right one by yourself.
In a hurry? Look at our picks!
Small Spotlight for Small Paintings – Situ Lighting Battery LED Art and Picture Light with Adjustable Models (Click here to buy)
With Flexible Gooseneck for Any Angles – HONWELL Black Rechargeable Picture Light (Click here to buy)
Long Runtime – Concept Antique Brass Picture Light (Click here to buy)
Why the Cordless Painting Light Is the Best Lighting for Artwork?
A cordless picture light is ideal for lighting up an artwork.
Suppose your corridor doesn’t have enough light. It contains three famous paintings that you bought from different auctions. Are you doing justice to the paintings? Probably not.
You should pay more attention to them instead of just keeping them in a place that doesn’t get enough light. Installing three cordless picture lights can change the entire scene altogether.
– Adjustable in light angle and light intensity
These lights come in different lumen counts, meaning you can buy the lights according to their brightness intensity. How much brightness do you want on the painting? Is the brightness so high that the colors in the artwork don’t pop out too well?
Another advantage of cordless picture lights is some of the models allow you to change the brightness intensity. You can increase the brightness in the evening, while dim the lights at night.
Many lights also offer the flexibility of operation. The LED light comes with a flexible light head. It means you can direct the light to a specific part of the painting instead of letting it hang on top.
What to Look for When Buying a Wireless Picture Light?
You must explore your options before buying a cordless picture light. It’s not that you should pick the one you see first in the market.
You should consider various factors like lumen count, the light head’s flexibility, adjustable brightness, and battery life before buying a cordless picture light.
Here’s a buying guide that can help:
1. What is the battery lifespan?
What is the approximate runtime of the battery after getting fully charged? The answer helps to find the best cordless picture light with incredible battery life.
For example, some cordless picture lights come with battery life extending up to 48 hours. Others may offer a better battery life. The better the battery life, the better it is for the cordless picture light.
On the other hand, you may also want to look at the light’s lifespan. Most cordless picture lights have LED lights that may last from 30,000 to 100,000 hours.
2. What battery type to choose?
You will find two types of batteries in different models of cordless picture lights: AA batteries and rechargeable batteries.
AA batteries usually have a long life. They can last for more than a year before you need to replace them.
However, rechargeable batteries last longer because you can charge them. They follow the same concept as mobile phone batteries. You need to charge them to keep the light illuminated.
Different cordless picture light models come with AA batteries and rechargeable batteries. You should compare the life of these batteries before purchasing the light.
AA batteries are convenient because you don’t need to charge them frequently.
On the other hand, rechargeable batteries last longer and you don’t need to invest in new batteries after a year or two.
3. Do I need to buy such a lamp with a remote?
It is best if you buy a remote-controlled cordless picture light.
You will not have to walk to the switchboard to switch on the light. Moreover, you can dim the light or change the light head’s position even without getting up from your couch.
If you are investing in such a fancy light, why not buy a model that comes with a remote?
- If you wanna one with a remote-controlled system, try BIGLIGHT.
4. What is the light bulb type?
The type of light bulb is one of the most important aspects that you need to consider while buying a cordless picture light.
First of all, you should remember that lights emitting UV rays may damage paintings, photos, and artwork. Therefore, you should never buy cordless picture lights that don’t guarantee UV-ray protection.
Most people recommend using LED lights because they are bright, they last longer than other lights, and they don’t emit UV rays.
Looking for a bright cordless picture light without artwork damage? Westek never disappoints you.
5. What are the suitable lumens to light up pictures?
This depends on the size of the pictures and the amount of light you think is suitable.
For example, small pictures usually require less light as it doesn’t have to cover a big area. You should compare the lumen counts of different lights to identify the best one for your pictures.
Some of the best options include lumen counts of 60, 80, and 100.
The higher the lumen count, the brighter the light.
Make sure you choose a lumen count that doesn’t burn your artwork.
6. Is it easy to install?
Cordless picture lights come with two types of installation techniques: wall mount and ceiling mount.
Wall mount is more popular than ceiling mount because you can access it easily. You will be able to charge the batteries frequently and open the light unit if required.
Most importantly, wall mount lights are easier to install.
Check the wall mount wireless picture light:
7. What construction is the most durable?
Aluminum is the most popular material when it comes to cordless picture lights.
It doesn’t discolor quickly and it lasts for years without showing signs of wear and tear.
8. What rating reflects the original color?
CRI rating affects the painting/picture visions. The best options are cordless picture lights that have CRI 90 and above.
The higher the value, the more accurate the color.
Best Cordless Picture Lights Reviews
For Small Paintings – Situ Lighting Battery LED Art and Picture Spotlight with Adjustable Models
This is a wireless and rechargeable picture light that lasts up to 47 hours after a full charge. It is appropriate for classic, contemporary, modern, and traditional settings.
The dual-level 93 CRI+ color-accurate lighting doesn’t provide glare to the artwork.
- Multiple light modes – It has three light modes: two that you can adjust according to the artwork’s dimensions and one that remains fixed. You can change the light’s direction to focus better on the artwork.
- Color accurate lighting – This picture light comes with dual-level 93 CRI+ color-accurate lighting that ensures your artwork doesn’t look burned from a distance. It creates a warm ambiance once you switch on the light.
With Rotatable Lamp Head – LUXSWAY Tube Light for Picture Frame
The LUXSWAY Wireless Picture Light is a battery-operated and remote-controlled picture light where you can dim or brighten the light according to your requirement.
It uses three AA batteries that you may need to replace after a couple of years or if their juices run out.
- Easy installation – It has a built-in bubble level that allows you to mount the bracket perfectly. The 7-inch head sticks out to illuminate wall displays, canvas artwork, and paintings.
- Adjustable head – This cordless picture light has a 180-degree adjustable head that you can move left and right with the remote control to adjust the light angle according to the place of the picture.
- Dimmable lights – You can change the light color from cool white to natural white to warm white using the remote. The lights also have two brightness levels: 50% and 100%. Feel free to change the brightness according to your artwork’s demands.
With Flexible Gooseneck for Any Angles – HONWELL Black Rechargeable Picture Light
This picture light model contains 28 super-bright SMD LEDs operating at 200 lumens.
- Adjustable light head – You can rotate the picture light head by 180° and the gooseneck by 360°. This allows you to adjust the light according to the picture’s position. You can unscrew the light head and gooseneck when you need to charge the batteries.
- Adjustable brightness intensity – There are three lighting modes: 8000K cool white, 4300K natural white, and 3000K warm white. You can change the brightness using the remote or by clicking the button on the lamp head.
- Dimmer timer – You can use the remote to adjust the brightness and also program the lights to become dim after 15, 30, 60, and 120 minutes.
Safe to Your Artwork – Concept Lighting UV-Free Cordless LED Remote Control Picture Light
Its antique brass finish complements the frames of most paintings and pictures.
The slim look ensures the focus remains on the artwork and not the light. It uses Pulse Width Modulation technology that offers 80 hours of battery life even on its brightest setting.
- No UV rays – This picture light keeps your artwork safe as its LED lights don’t emit UV rays. You will not notice the color in paintings fading away over time.
- Maintenance-free LEDs – Its maintenance-free LED lights can last up to 50,000 hours. That means you won’t need to change the picture light in the next few years, making this model a worthy investment.
Long Runtime – Concept Antique Brass Picture Light
The Concept 102L Cordless Remote Control LED Picture Light is worth the hype because of its dimmable lights, excellent battery life, and even light distribution.
Its metal construction ensures that the unit doesn’t bend or break after a few years.
- Wide light distribution – This picture light distributes light evenly. It is suitable for pictures that are up to 3 feet wide.
- Unmatched battery life – The battery lasts up to 150 hours when you use it for 4 to 5 hours and then give it a 2-hour break.
- Pulse Width Modulation – It comes with Pulse Width Modulation technology that provides more than 100 hours of battery life on the lights’ highest setting. You can extend the battery life by dimming the lights.
Super Bright – LUXSWAY Cordless Painting Light
LUXSWAY never compromises when it comes to the quality of cordless picture lights. This model is yet another proof of why the brand lives up to its reputation.
Its 9.1-inch light tube contains 16 super-bright SMD LEDs. You can rotate the light head to adjust the light’s angle.
- Timer option – You can set four timers: 15, 30, 60, and 120 minutes with its remote control. It also allows you to change the brightness level from 100% to 50% or vice versa.
- Remote controller painting light – You can operate the lights within 10 to 13 feet using the remote control. There are 12 brightness levels, allowing you to dim the lights when you are not in the room.
How Do You Illuminate a Picture?
Once you have everything in place, you should mount the light head just above the artwork.
It’s best to keep the majority of the light fixture behind the painting or picture. Only the light head should remain on top of the artwork.
Most cordless picture lights come with a built-in bubble level that helps to adjust the fixture’s level with the painting. Make sure the level matches the artwork before screwing the light stand to the wall.
You don’t usually need a drill to tighten the screws. Keep a screwdriver handy.
You can later change the position of the light if you want to install it in another room.
Once you finish, charge the batteries and light up the picture!
Do LED Cordless Picture Lights Damage Artwork?
LED lights are the safest choice for cordless picture lights.
They usually don’t emit UV rays, thus protecting the paintings and artworks from fading over time. Exhibitions and museums mostly use LED lights because of this reason.
They don’t use traditional lights because they may emit UV rays that can damage the artworks within a few years.
You may not see any difference within a few weeks or months, but they start affecting a painting’s texture after a year or two.
With so many brands around, you may feel confused about which brand to trust. The best way to identify a good brand is by comparing its product features with other brands.
For example, you should look for a cordless picture light that has a
- durable construction,
- brightness adjustment feature,
- rotatable light head,
- rechargeable batteries,
- long battery life,
- long light lifespan,
- and low maintenance.
If you find a brand that ticks all these boxes or at least covers most of these features, you should buy the cordless picture light from that brand.